Adrenaline Junkies Airsoft
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HUTU Workshop #2 (Sat, March 28th)

Go down

HUTU Workshop #2 (Sat, March 28th) Empty HUTU Workshop #2 (Sat, March 28th)

Post  Knucklehead Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:34 am

HUTU Workshop #2
http://1st-sword.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=946

In light of our upcoming night game at Operation Red Invasion: Hawk Eye, 1st-Sword is organizing a second HUTU (hop up tracer unit) Workshop. Our first HUTU Workshop (http://1st-sword.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=522) was a great success, and in order to maintain the same quality of education, space will be limited to only 10 participants. We will strive for an intensive hands-on course that may eventually allow students to go out and help other fellow airsofters to set up their own HUTU systems. Those who have signed up for OP Red Invasion will have priority for this workshop, ie. we will compare your names against the roster!

1st-Sword member “Knucklehead” has gratefully volunteered his workshop for our purpose.

Please be advised that we will overdrive the HUTU LEDs for maximum brightness. If you feel unfortable with this idea, let me know before we start and I will provide you with a higher ohm resistor.

Course Objectives
The goal of this course is to give students directions

how to plan out a HUTU installation;
where to drill holes and place HUTU LEDs;
how to route HUTU wires;
how to connect to the HUTU power source.

The student will end up with a functioning tracer system for only one of his guns (should he own several)! We will not turn this course into a HUTU mass production workshop, but want to teach you the concept of a HUTU installation.

Course Requirements
We have learned a few pointers from the first HUTU workshop, so to turn this workshop into a smoothly running course, we must insist on certain skills and preparations! Therefore, you must know

how to quickly take down your own gun to the hop up unit level; there is no need to know how to get into the gearbox; practice the take down ahead of time, if necessary;
how to proficiently use your soldering iron so that you won't burn up the LED or create cold solder joints;
how to identify the polarity of an LED;
the steps of the HUTU installation that are outlined here: http://1st-sword.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=163

It is not our goal to do the HUTU installation for you. Ideally, we only want to look over your shoulders and be there for advice or when you are stuck with something during the installation. This is your HUTU workshop, and your personal goal should be to become proficient in this installation.

Tool Requirements
Borrowing tools from other people will unnecessary slow down everybody else! So bring your own set of tools, which includes:

safety goggles;
a head light – a torch is of no use unless you have a stand for it;
a large white cloth to work on so you can find your own parts and have better visibility in general;
your screw drivers to take down your gun;
a small bowl to place your screws;
a permanent marker;
a battery-driven drill with your 7/64” drill bit;
a small sharp knife or scalpel or file to remove the edge debris after the holes have been drilled;
crazy glue/super glue;
your soldering iron, a sponge to clean the iron tip, lead-free solder; no additional flux is necessary;
a hot glue gun;

Please, be rather overprepared than a “fifth wheel” in the group!

Additional Suggested “Supplements”
It would be wise to bring water and food along because we will not have a break. For your convenience, you can bring your own heat gun and a Dremel. Bring your GIDs/tracer BBs so that we can test out the HUTUs – in a limited fashion, of course!

Registration and Costs
Registration for the HUTU Workshop #2 is free and on a first-come-first-serve basis with priority to those who have signed up for OP Red Invasion. Due to liability issues, you must be at least 18 years of age or have your parent/guardian stay with you during the entire workshop in order to participate!
As already mentioned above, the course is capped at 10 participants. Please enter your call sign (no real names!) and the gun (type and brand) that you will bring along.

Important: Please type “I have read, understood, and do agree to the Release of Liability” and "I am at least 18 years old" at the end of your registration.

So your sign-up format would be:
John Doe, Cyma AK-47
I have read, understood, and do agree to the Release of Liability!
I am at least 18 years old!

The costs for the HUTU parts are $7 (self-cost). For logistic reasons, please do not use or bring unapproved parts thinking that they are “right.” Do not approach us with “I already have my LEDs – can you sell me xyz and abc parts?” You would create an organizational nightmare for us and distract us from helping others! None of us will spend time correcting your mistakes if you are using the wrong parts!

Time and Location
Start: 1200H (12:00 PM)
End: 1700H (5:00 PM)

Release of Liability
As already mentioned, due to liability issues, you must be at least 18 years of age or have a parent/guardian stay with you during the entire workshop in order to participate in this course!

By signing up for this course, you will automatically agree that you will hold any 1st-Sword member harmless for any damages to your health, gun, equipment, or any other of your belongings or for any losses thereof.

You understand that there are inherent risks of using a soldering iron, hot glue gun, or any other tools that could result in burns, cuts, bruises, loss of eye-sight, fatal injuries or even death (although unlikely).

You agree to keep your eye protection on at all times during the workshop unless you leave the working area and proceed to a safe zone!

You agree not to discharge your gun unless cleared by a 1st-Sword member!

And finally: Please leave the area cleaner than before! Thank you!

Jawz, Knuclehead
Knucklehead
Knucklehead
1st Sword

http://www.1st-sword.com/

Back to top Go down